Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Preschool Literacy Tutor - Educator Corps - Hand in Hand Preschool
at Americorps Minnesota
- Location Name
- Hand in Hand Preschool
- Site District
- Caledonia Public School District
- Job ID
Thousands of Minnesota kids need help in reading and you can make all the difference. Offer your time, talent, and experience as a member of our Educator Corps and be more for your students.
You’ll provide intentional, meaningful, and fun literacy instruction during all parts of the day for your students to talk, write, sing and play in order to develop early literacy skills and get ready for Kindergarten. With great training and onsite coaching, you’ll be ready to make an even greater impact.
We are currently recruiting for the 2019-20 school year with opportunities beginning in August 2019, September 2019, October 2019 or January 2020. Your commitment to Reading Corps will align with your work schedule.
This is an AmeriCorps member position with Minnesota Reading Corps. Although the earnings are modest, the rewards are great! You’ll join an amazing group of more than 100 Minnesota educators, determined to help students be more.
What to Expect
- Be a change maker by implementing proven literacy strategies in your classroom.
- Be the reason struggling students build their confidence and skills by providing one-on-one or small group support to your students.
- Be ready to grow by participating in on-site coaching sessions two times per month to review student progress and get feedback.
- Be impactful by participating in training and ongoing professional development
- Be the motivation and represent Reading Corps at school-sponsored activities (e.g., family night) to help build awareness of Reading Corps and early literacy.
- Be an ambassador of the program by sharing your experience with the wider community.
Perks as a Tutor
While your students benefit from proven literacy strategies, you’ll be rewarded with more than just a sense of satisfaction. Educator Corps members receive perks including:
- Education Award - Up to $4,266 for Tuition or Student Loans*
- Federal Student Loan Forbearance & Interest Repayment
- Professional Coaching & Development
- Free Training (fulfills Minnesota career lattice requirements)
*The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award can be used to pay tuition or repay qualified student loans. Individuals 55+ may gift their award to their child, grandchild or foster child. Award amounts listed are for tutors beginning their service in August 2019. View benefits grid for other start dates here
What it Takes
To participate in Educator Corps, you need to be a classroom teacher, paraprofessional or aide working with students ages 3-5. In addition, you’ll need to meet the following minimum qualifications by the time you begin your service
- Receive a recommendation from your principal, school administrator, or internal coach
- Have basic computer skills (like email and navigating online)
- Can speak, read, and write English fluently
- Are 18 years of age or older with a high school diploma or equivalent
- Currently a citizen, national, or lawful permanent resident alien of the United States*
- Served three or fewer terms with AmeriCorps State or National Program
- Agree to and successfully complete a background check
*Applicants who have received deferred action for childhood arrivals (DACA) through the U.S. Department of Homeland Security are not eligible to serve as AmeriCorps members at this time.
Want to Learn More?
Watch this 2-minute video and get a glimpse of what it’s like to be a tutor! Or click here to view the position description.
We’d love to hear from you! Contact us at 866.859.2825 or email@example.com.
About our Organization
Minnesota Reading Corps is an AmeriCorps program that helps more than 30,000 Minnesota children, age 3 to grade 3, become successful readers each year. Started in 2004, the program has helped more than 200,000 children improve their skills and become better readers. Rigorous third party evaluation has consistently shown that students who have Reading Corps make greater gains. What’s more — students with traditional risk factors make even greater gains than their peers! Building on success in Minnesota, Reading Corps is replicated nationally in 12 states and the District of Columbia.
Minnesota Reading Corps is administered by Reading & Math, Inc., a national nonprofit based in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Reading & Math, Inc. also administers Florida Reading Corps, Wisconsin Reading Corps, Minnesota Math Corps, Georgia Math Corps, Minnesota Opportunity Corps and Minnesota Recovery Corps.
Reading & Math, Inc. will not discriminate for or against any AmeriCorps service member or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, familial status, disability, sexual orientation, age, or any other category protected by law. Reasonable accommodations provided upon request. This document is available in alternative formats.