Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Construction Estimator III
- HNTB Job Title
- Estimator III
- Position Type
- Regular Full-Time
- Project Controls
Why Choose HNTB?
For more than a century, HNTB has helped deliver infrastructure solutions that best meet the unique needs of our clients. With client relationships spanning decades, we understand infrastructure life cycles and have the perspective to solve technical challenges with clarity and imagination. We are far more than a design firm. We see and help address far-reaching issues of financing, legislation, design, construction, community outreach and ongoing operations. As employee-owners committed to the highest levels of performance, we enable clients to achieve their goals and inspiring visions.
At HNTB, we’re encouraged to go beyond discovering mere solutions that will impact our very landscape. We are encouraged to ask, “What if?” Our HNTB family fosters an inventive and resourceful commitment to finding unique answers to complex problems. We believe that the act of wondering sparks creativity. We will work to foster your creativity, career and personal growth. Come join HNTB and unleash your spark of imagination.
For you, “together” can mean the chance to put together an exciting career. At HNTB “together” also means collaborating across geographies and disciplines within the firm. And “together” means that we are partners with our clients. Our goals are linked, and their success is our success. “Together” means that we are engaged in the communities we serve — we live there — and are committed to their growth and development.
Just like we are committed to delivering for our clients, HNTB is also committed to delivering for you by offering benefits to protect the health of you and your family, help you balance family and career, and build your savings for retirement. Learn more at https://www.myhntbtotalrewards.com.
The time is right to join HNTB! We have an elite team of construction management professionals that have joined us from the contracting side of the heavy construction industry and provide valuable construction experience and knowledge to our company and clients. The demand for the services this team provides is ever growing and, as a result, we are constantly looking for talented individuals. If you are a team player with heavy construction experience, have a strong performance drive, and are looking for a challenge, please apply today! We are seeking a Construction Estimator III for our Minneapolis, MN or Detroit, MI office. Qualified applicants who require relocation will be considered for this job opening.
Prepares all aspects of detailed cost estimates with minimal supervision for projects that are generally larger and more complex estimating assignments. Accurately projects the cost of upcoming projects. Responsible for conceptual, definitive, man-hour, and equipment factored total installed cost estimates. Duties may also include preparing economic cost studies, cash flows, and contingency analyses.
- Provides support in price negotiations. Obtains quotes for materials and services. Participates in client presentations as required.
- Performs related costs estimating and budgeting functions. Performs conceptual estimating by establishing a project’s cost prior to development of graphical representation of a facility. Works closely with the project supervisor to ensure the project estimate meets all financial and regulatory guidelines. Operates and provides oversight and guidance on the use of selected estimating software.
- Performs detailed cost estimates by breaking down the items of work on an orderly and logical basis, determining the cost of each item from experience and summarizing the total. Prepares detailed breakdown of components and elements of estimates for systems and subsystems.
- Develops duration estimates of specific construction activities based on assumed construction approach and appropriate production rates. Prepares independent cost estimates (ICE) for submitted change order proposals.
- Analyzes specifications, drawings, sketches and sample layouts to calculate total construction cost using labor, material, and equipment pricing schedules in concert with historical data. Reviews contractual documents and contract modifications to determine scope of work and scope changes.
- Prepares and summarizes task and subtask estimates, including rate and unit cost determination and performing mathematical calculations by applying standard factors.
- Accumulates, evaluates, and documents historical cost data and construction procedures and methods in order to maintain current estimating standards and databases.
- Prepares takeoffs on complex projects, drawings, and plans with project management and checks for mathematical and technical accuracy. Assigns material costs and staffing costs to the takeoffs.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
4 years related experience
8 years development of cost estimates in facilities construction experience in lieu of education
- AACE’s CEP (Certified Estimating Professional) or equivalent designation
- Experience preparing cost estimates using a variety of Estimating tools, including Excel spreadsheets, Sage Timberline, HCSS HeavyBid, and/or other estimating software
- Experience in alternative contracting such as design build, P3s, CMGC
- Former experience with a heavy civil contractor
- Estimating experience and construction management responsibilities
- Vertical construction experience such as buildings, facilities, and/or industrial is suitable
- Experience working on large civil infrastructure projects desirable
- DOT project experience
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time as necessary is required
- Ability to obtain Security Clearance as needed is required
General Work Conditions
HNTB Corporation is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran.
The HNTB Companies are an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status, genetic information, citizenship status, or other status protected by law. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, we will hire only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States (if the position is or will be one which is subject to U.S. law). We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individual with a disability where appropriate.